Blog Theme

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Door... (part 1)

A month ago I was having a conversation with a co-worker that went something like this:

Me:  Do you have any exciting plans for this weekend?
Her:  Kind of....I'm going to make a door headboard.
Me:  A what?!?
Her: A headboard made out of an old door.

At this time I proceeded to Pinterest a "door headboard" and instantaneously fell in love with the idea of repurposing an old door...but it of course had to be the right door.  So I immediately jumped on Google to find out if there were any building supply stores near my office.  I found two that looked very promising...a Habitat for Humanity ReStore and Stardust Building Supplies.  I headed out after work, stopping first at ReStore...while there were all kinds of fun things that were just aching for a new home, the perfect door was not there.  I also happened to bump into my co-worker there, we had continued to chat about it for the remainder of the work day, and she decided that she needed to make not one but TWO door headboards over the weekend...one for her guest room, and one for her sister....overachiever.  Just kidding, she's amazing.

When I got to Stardust, I walked towards the back of the warehouse, and OH.MY.GOSH!  There were all kinds of doors, but more importantly, there it was...the PERFECT door!
There wasn't a price on it, so I flagged down a store associate and asked how much they wanted for the door.  He said "how does $20 sound?"  SOLD!  I quickly paid for the door and asked if I could return the next evening and pick it up...it was not going to fit into the Geo Prizm I was driving.

Once the door was brought home, it sat out in my backyard for weeks...just waiting for me to have make the time to complete the project.  I decided that the time to begin the project was this past Sunday.  And with any luck, it will be done by this coming Saturday.  I only have a couple of hours of daylight, and I have neighbors who wouldn't appreciate sanding in the middle of the night otherwise it would have been done already.

I'll post some more pictures and an update with how the project is going in a day or so...tomorrow is my birthday, so I can't guarantee it will be then.

Until next time,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment